I know. They don't look like pasties. But believe me they are pasties!
It takes about 50 minutes to prepare, along with the salad. On the upside, if you don't eat them all in one go, you can keep some for your lunch break the day after! As someone who works from home, it always lifts up my spirits to eat something a bit special for lunch.
Ingredients (serves 2 people):
For the veggie pasties
-1 roll of puff pastry
-300g broad beans
-250g chard or spinach
-100g sheep's cheese
-2 tbsp plain flour
-2 tbsp oilve oil
-zest of one lemon
For the salad
-1 small carrot
-1 small courgette
-a dash of olive oil
-a dash of vinegar
For the pasties
1. Dust a flat work surface. Roll out the puff pastry on a flat surface using a pin. Cut out 10 circular shapes using a small bowl for example. The shapes should be 15cm wide. Put a clean kitchen towel
2. Prepare the broad beans. Remove them from their pods. Wash the chard or the spinach.
3. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil. Prepare a pan full of cold water next to it.
4. Blanch the broad beans in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes until tender. Then plunge them into the cold water. Take a few minutes to slip the beans from their skins. Roughly chop or mash the broad beans. Put aside.
5. Roughly chop the chard or spinach. Blanch it in boiling water for 45 seconds. Transfer to the cold water pan. Squeeze as much water as you can from the chard or spinach.
6. Mix together the broad beans, the sheep's cheese and half the lemon zest. Add some salt, pepper and 2 tbsp olive oil. Preheat the oven to 180° degrees.
7. Put as much filling as you can on each of the pastry circle.
8. Beat the egg with a dash of water and brush the inside edge of each circle with the mix.
9. Form a semi-circle pasty shape with each circle and brush them with the egg wash.
10. Bake them in the oven for 15-20 min until golden brown.
For the salad
1. Wash the salad thoroughly. Wash the carrot and courgette.
2. Cut the carrot into small cubes.
3. Peel the courgette into strips.
4. Lay some salad, some courgette strips on top and some carrot cubes at the bottom on a plate.
5. Add 2 or 3 veggie pasties and enjoy!