It does take a bit of time to prepare (45 minutes, if not more) and it requires quite a few ingredients but it's worth it. Especially if you want to serve something special to someone special. ; )
Ingredients (serves 4 as a starter):
For the tart
-1 fennel bulb
-1 teaspoon brown sugar
-1 sheet of puff pastry
-60g Parmesan or another Italian hard cheese
-half a pot of mascarpone (or even a bit less)
-the juice of half a lemon
-1 garlic clove
For the salad
-80g salad leaves
-1 orange cut in segments
-50g black olives
-30g hazelnuts -roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Take the pastry sheet out of the fridge.
2. Cut the fennel in half centimetre thick, lengthways slices.
3. Throw the sliced fennel in a roasting tin or a roasting dish with some olive oil, salt, pepper and half the juice of the lemon, plus the brown sugar.
4. Cook for 15 minutes.
5. Unroll the pastry sheet on a baking tray. Beat the egg and use some of it to brush the pastry.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until it starts cooking.
7. Remove the pastry out of the oven. Beat the mascarpone, remaining egg and garlic together. Spread the mixture on the pastry.
8. Spread the fennel on the pastry. Pop into the oven for 20 minutes.
9. Prepare the salad.