I say almost because I didn't have any red peppers the other day when I prepared a quick ratatouille with some leftover aubergines and a courgette. Not all ratatouille recipes call for a red pepper but, in my house, we normally use peppers. Still, I ended up with a very tasty dish. It wasn't as good as my grand-mother's ratatouille but it's all right because my grand-ma's is the best in the world. If mine come second, I can live with it.
Ingredients (serves 2-3 people):
-2 garlic cloves
-3 small aubergines or 2 big ones
-300g tomatoes (you can use cherry tomatoes)
-1 tin chopped tomatoes
-a handful basil leaves
1. Slice the onion and crush the garlic cloves.
2. Pour them in a big pan with some olive oil (about 2 tablespoons).Stir them well. Cook on a low heat.
3. Cut the aubergines and the courgette into cubes. Cut the cherry tomatoes in two. Add to the onion and garlic.
4. Pour the chopped tomatoes on top of the other vegetables. Stir well. Cook on medium heat.
5. Add 2 teaspoons oregano and 2 teaspoons thyme. Add some basil leaves.
6. Cook on a low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring regularly.
7. Add some salt and pepper. And a dash of olive oil before serving.